Home | Online Inquiry | Site Map
About Us
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

THE KEM STORY……….

 
     
 

The KEM Hospital, Pune, India, is the largest Non-Government Organization hospital in the Pune District of Maharashtra State. Run by the KEM Hospital Society, it is registered under the Societies' Registration Act 1860 and the Bombay Public Trusts Act 1950. The hospital is a 550-bedded, tertiary-level teaching institution, serving not only the people of the city itself, but also a large populace coming from the surrounding urban and rural areas.

 
     
 

The KEM also runs a secondary level Rural Hospital at Vadu, which serves a rural population of about 68,000 people through a network of primary health centers. All the major clinical departments like Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pathology and Radiology, are recognized for the Pune University MD and MS degrees and for the National Board DNB.

 
     
  History  
     
  Four beds and an institution is born…  
 

In 1912, Sardar Srinivas Moodliar established a small charitable dispensary with four maternity beds in memory of King Edward VII on his own land. Over the next 30 years, thanks to the philanthropy of several individuals, this dispensary grew slowly but steadily. By 1944, the hospital had about 40 beds, an operation room, a labour room and nurses' quarters. Basically a Maternity hospital, figures show that an impressive 22.5% of all registered births in Pune City in the early 40s took place at the KEM!

 
     
  One woman and history is made…  
     
 

In 1944, Dr. Banoo Coyaji was appointed Chief Medical Officer. The KEM never looked back…A period of accelerated expansion and consolidation began with the aim of providing the most up-to-date diagnostic and treatment facilities in the field of maternal and child health to all -- regardless of creed or economic capacity.

 

Banoobai envisioned an India where health could dramatically improve if women were empowered. Thus, family planning, women and children's health and women's empowerment became her personal crusade.

 
 
     
 

As KEM Hospital's reputation grew, there arose pressing public demand for it to provide wider medical facilities for the people of Pune and its environs. Therefore, in 1967 it was converted into a 200-bedded General Hospital with the addition of Medical, Surgical and Pediatric Departments.

 
     
 

Once again, with her visionary outlook and customary zeal, Banoobai initiated the concept of taking medical care to rural outposts. Thus in the late sixties, with the help of the late Mr.Ram Shamdasani, was born the Vadu Hospital which today services 22 villages and a population of 68,000 people.

 
     
  Trustees with a Vision…  
     
 

The hospital was fortunate to have a set of very able and reputable heads of units, with whose help the institution rapidly established itself as one of the foremost hospitals in the city. The Chief Medical Officer and her staff were strongly supported in their dynamism by a small band of dedicated men and women with vision-the KEM Trustees and Governing Council Members. They included the founder Sardar Moodliar, and later Mr. N.B. Parulekar and Mr. F.D. Wadia.

 
     
 

The Trustees soon realized that KEM could not survive and grow merely on philanthropy and Government grants, especially as its ethos was to treat the community across the board, right down to the poorest. So in 1969, with a generous donation from the A.H. Wadia Trust, the Hospital built the A.H. Wadia Nursing Home to house private patients and to increase its earning capacity.

 
     
  Development is the keyword…  
     
 

In 1976, a modern five-floor structure was built with the funds generated to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the hospital. Named the Diamond Jubilee Building, this was inaugurated by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and housed the general beds of most departments as well as an expanded ICU and Dialysis Unit. A mirror image extension to this building was completed in 1987.

 
     
 

1978-1979 saw another five floor building, partly funded by Terre des Hommes, Germany, come up. Its subsequent development embraced the Neonatal ICU (which was later relocated in larger premises in the Banoo Coyaji Building) and other services like the Ultrasonography Unit, Endocrine Laboratory, new Operation Theatres and an expanded library. Today it houses a Centre for Children, the Physiotherapy Unit, various Diagnostic Services, the A.H.Wadia Operation Theatre Suite consisting of 5 operation theatres and related facilities, the KEM Hospital Research Centre, the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory and the Adult ICU.

Except for vertical growth of the Nursing Home, there was no significant further building program until 1999. In that year KEM built, with difficulty, two new general wards and made space for an expanded ICU and Nephrology Department. In 2002, work started on the new Dr. Banoo Coyaji Building. This is the core of an ambitious Master Plan, which aims to streamline and rationalize the whole campus, and to take care of the needs of the next quarter century, during which period KEM Hospital will also complete one hundred years of service to its patients and the city.

 
     
  Go to Top  
     
 
 
Copyright © 2007 by KEM Hospital. All Rights Reserved.